Wednesday 6 May 2020

Wicked Lovely / Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1)Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 stars

I can't in good conscience give this four stars, as I don't think I'll ever be tempted to read it again, but it was a pleasant experience the first time around. I do love fairy stories and this is a decent one, although definitely written for the younger crowd. I wouldn't hesitate to hand it to a young person in my circle.

I like the lines that the author draws for behaviour. Making sure that a partner is a good and caring person before sleeping with them. Staying loyal to friends even when doing so is difficult. Righting wrongs if you are able. Being compassionate to those who maybe don't deserve it. Finding creative solutions for life's big problems. Realizing that the adults in your life may not understand what your life path is, but that you still want them to be part of that path.

Aislinn and Seth are a charming couple, though perhaps their relationship does set a pretty high bar for real people to aspire to. No arguments, no overwhelming sexual pressure, seemingly utter trust. I've never experienced that in real life—two people who grow up in different households (as you usually do if you're going to be romantically involved) will have some incompatible ideas about how life should proceed, big occasions and little details both. And couples will fight over both.

But this is fantasy, so why not conjure a ultra-romantic relationship as well as the fairy world?


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment