Friday 8 May 2020

The Dragon Conspiracy / Lisa Shearin

The Dragon Conspiracy (SPI Files, #2)The Dragon Conspiracy by Lisa Shearin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Re-Read

As one of the blurbs in the front of the book says, this book is the perfect antidote for doom and gloom. Makenna bounces happily along, being sassy, confident that SPI will come out on top of whatever situation they find themselves in. She drags me, as reader, along in her happy, optimistic wake.

Gandalf warned us not to meddle in the affairs of dragons, but Makenna works for one. For a brand new employee, she is making quite an impression on her dragon lady boss. Also upon one goblin businessman-about-town.

Fast, fun, and decidedly cheerful, these books are just what the doctor ordered in these unsettling times.


ORIGINAL REVIEW

****Wanda’s Summer Festival of Reading Fluff***

I liked the first book in this series and I really enjoyed this second installment. In fact, I had so much fun that I picked up the book the next day and read it again! And I started contemplating purchasing my own copy. It is that amusing.

I really like the lightness of attitude and the intelligence of the series. It is rather like the Men in Black movies crossed with James Bond, perhaps with a sprinkling of Austin Powers and/or X-Files? In other words, it plays with all the tropes in a fun way without taking itself too seriously.

I like the friendships that are building between Mackenna and her fellow SPI agents, including her dragon lady boss. I am also amused by her Southern sensibilities and the fact that she is just a regular woman (not depicted as some ultra-beautiful person, often ending up covered in food) and that she is sometimes the rescued and sometimes the rescuer.

What can I say? I can hardly wait for book three to be published in January 2016.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment