Sunday 17 May 2020

Inversions / Iain M. Banks

Inversions (Culture, #6)Inversions by Iain M. Banks
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book goes to show what a sophisticated writer Iain Banks was. I was looking forward to another Culture novel, but a few chapters in, I was confused. The tale is told as two intertwining stories, set in two rather mediaeval societies. There are no AI minds, no sentient space craft, no “Cultured" humanity swanning around. I set my misgivings aside and just enjoyed the interplay of the two tales, at least until I arrived at the final chapters.

Suddenly, things became clear. The stories that the body guard DeWar told to Lettens came into focus. The Doctor, with her extraordinary attention to cleanliness and her omnipresent dull old knife. I won't spoil things for you. You deserve to put the pieces together at your own speed in your own way. I'm sure many people figured things out more quickly than I.

This is a very subtle novel, much different from those that preceded it. I'm betting that Banks was looking for a change and this is a refreshing one. I kind of want to go back to the beginning and re-read the book with my new found realizations informing the experience. However, it is far too soon for that.

I can see eventually wanting to re-read the entire series, but first I must finish it.

Book number 367 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment