Wednesday 27 May 2020

Southern Spirits / Angie Fox

Southern Spirits (Southern Ghost Hunter Mysteries, #1)Southern Spirits by Angie Fox
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I should have been reading other books, but this one was so tempting that I picked it up instead. I have to say I enjoyed it a lot, which is kind of a relief since I spent my own money on it. My library doesn't have any books by Ms. Fox and I've never found any at the used book store that I frequent.

I do like these paranormal books set in the American South. I'm thinking of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, Molly Harper's Jane Jameson, and Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock. This series has more in common tone-wise with Molly Harper's writing. Sookie & Jane Yellowrock face more supernatural threat and have to be tougher than Verity Long in this book. Verity reminds me of Sookie though because of her financial difficulties that she is trying hard to solve. But all of these women have to navigate Southern society, with its gossipy ways, its expectations of politeness, and its clear gender roles. They also have to deal with their own relatives and with judgy small town communities.

Maybe because I grew up in a small community, I really identify with these main characters. Since I chose not to marry or have children, I know what it is to not fit into usual small town expectations and learning to deflect the criticism that haunts women who won't conform. Somehow the women who do what's expected feel threatened by those of us who know we wouldn't be happy in those roles and who go our own way. Men too, for that matter. I'm fine with them doing what they want, but I expect to be granted the same freedom.

I think that I'm being drawn to romances right now because our city has been shut down for 70+ days and I'm missing my contact with people. Reading romance reminds me that physical closeness is possible!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment