Sunday 24 May 2020

All Spell Breaks Loose / Lisa Shearin

All Spell Breaks Loose (Raine Benares, #6)All Spell Breaks Loose by Lisa Shearin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I spent part of an afternoon recently reorganizing my book shelves, making a list of unread books to tide me over until the public library reopens (there are over 100, lucky me). I found this book tucked away with all my other Raine Benares books, completely forgotten. How did that happen?

This is the volume where the whole Saghred story gets wrapped up. Just like Shearin's SPI Files series, which I recently reread, this is the last RB book published by a traditional publisher. Once the original plotline is resolved, publishers seem to prefer to move on to fresh characters. Authors may still have stories they want to tell about the current characters. I'm pleased to see that my library has the next (self published) volume of this series, so I can try it before I buy it. Whenever said library reopens. Sigh!

This was a pretty satisfying ending to the adventure. I think most readers would be fine leaving things right here. It included a long interlude in the Goblins' home, Regor. Plus, we get to meet Tam's magic teacher, a crusty old Goblin with a smart mouth, good instincts, and a deadly fart. When he tells you to hold your breath, you darned well better do it! There is also the successful introduction of Tam's teenage son, Talon, into the Goblin world. Many plot lines getting tied up in a neat bow.

Of course there are other things that the author could explore, which is why I will read on to see where she goes. But I can sure see why Ace was done publishing these books at this point.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment