Thursday 28 May 2020

Gunmetal Magic / Ilona Andrews

Gunmetal Magic (Kate Daniels, #5.5)Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Ilona Andrews has my number. This husband and wife team writes action adventure/romance fantasy novels that I am completely unable to resist. Whenever I need a little reading pick-me-up, I turn to one of their novels. I'm currently going a bit stir crazy at home these days and I'm still harbouring some doubts about re-entering our newly reopened economy.

The Andrews incorporate so many details in their books that I've been reading and enjoying since I was a teen. A female main character, well educated, curious, and brave when she needs to be. Not overly dependent on the men around her and doesn't use her looks or flutter her eyelashes to get men to help her. Even better if she has self defense skills and can hold her own. Doesn't require anyone to “complete" her, but wants a male companion who knows he can't boss her around or wrap her up in protection that interferes with living life.

But like any typical Gothic romance that I cut my teeth on, there has to be a drastic misunderstanding to create the plot tension that pulls the reader along. Andrea and Raphael are both stubborn people, so their conflict has to be worthy of two very strong people. The Andrews oblige in this story which stars these two boudas. Of course, we also get to see all of our other favourites along the way. Barabas, Jim, Doolittle, Ascanio, Derek, Julie, the list goes on. Not to mention Kate and Curran.

The authors follow their formula. For me, it's a winning one. Not everyone will feel the same way, but their writing matches my reading preferences so well that I am happy to read this set up over and over in varied fantasy worlds and starring various couples. They've written my happy place. Thanks, Ilona and Gordon!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment