Friday 22 May 2020

Heaven's Reach / David Brin

Heaven's Reach (Uplift Storm Trilogy, #3)Heaven's Reach by David Brin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A good conclusion to an entertaining trilogy. Brin has created a wonderfully inventive universe, complete with multiple levels of reality and a whole panoply of fantastic species. There were even hydrogen breathing eatees, reminding me strongly of E.E. “Doc" Smith's Lensman series. There were also overtones of Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End, as the Old Ones approach black holes to pass on to the next level of “spiritual" development. The reluctance of some Old Ones to move along to make room for upcoming species subverts the ideals of those of us who cut our science fiction eye teeth on the Star Trek universe. We are used to associating age with wisdom, but Brin reminds us that it ain't necessarily so. The use of black holes also made me think of Frederic Pohl's Gateway series.

I have no doubt that David Brin has read all of those classics and many more. I love the tempered optimism of his creation. For example, the planet of Jijo, which is largely left behind during this book, but demonstrating how multiple species can live together in harmony. When this way of life is a challenge even for Old Ones, you know that it is exceptional.

Several Jijoans are spread out to carry this culture of mutual respect to the other galaxies, while a few outsiders end up at Jijo to add to that co-operative culture. The final denouement was a nice touch at the very end. I have enjoyed my time in the Uplift Universe.

Book number 368 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment