Friday 15 May 2020

Diamond Mask / Julian May

Diamond Mask (Galactic Milieu Trilogy, #2)Diamond Mask by Julian May
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I wasn't impressed with the first book in this series, but I had purchased this one along with it. The public library is closed right now, so I'm working my way through these books that I've ignored for far too long. This one was a pleasant surprise and now I must search for the third book.

There was far less religion and philosophy in this installment plus far more exploration of metapsychological talents. There's an effective evil genius and his henchmen to deal with. But for me, the pièce de résistance was Dorothea as the main focus of the story. Someone that I found interesting and who had problems that I could identify with. Someone who is not a Remillard. Uncle Rogi is the only one of them that I find intriguing and thankfully he is one of the main narrators here.

May does political plotting extremely effectively. The Rebels are trying to block humanity's incorporation into the Galactic Milieu and I could see both sides of the argument. Apparently getting human agreement is like trying to herd cats. Not very effective. Its difficult to sell something where you can't try before you buy and there's no money back guarantee! Now what I want to know is why the Lylmik are so adamant that humanity must be corralled into the Milieu.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment