Sunday 10 May 2020

The Phoenix Illusion / Lisa Shearin

The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files, #6)The Phoenix Illusion by Lisa Shearin
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

These optimistic adventures are just what I need right now. They are kind of happy-clappy, but charming nevertheless. Shearin keeps the action coming, not giving Makenna much time to breathe.

You've gotta love getting Rake and Tam, the goblin cousins, in the same book. It's like having two James Bonds (with silvery skin, pointed ears & fangs) running around! By this time, however, they've both had to tame their bad boy ways. That tends to happen when you get promoted to high government office. I was a bit sad to see them domesticated. It was good to have Tam get to be the black-leather-clad dark mage once again in the final showdown.

Shearin is also very good at providing enough closure to be satisfying in each volume while still leaving sufficient unresolved issues to carry us on to the next book. And I hope the next book does get produced and that we finally get to meet Grandmother Fraser!

I'm thinking that I may have to revisit the Raine Benares books soon, and refresh my memory on Raine, Tam, and Mychael.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment