Monday 18 May 2020

Obsidian / Thomas King

ObsidianObsidian by Thomas King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was fabulous. So help me Goddess, it was perfect. Thomas King, you did an excellent job of this one. You have taken the tried and true plot, consisting of the former cop who is haunted by a significant failure in his past and who won't rest until things are settled, and you've rewritten it starring a decent man who really doesn't want revenge or to be a policeman again.

My only disappointment is that this book feels really final. Will there be another one? King has tied up all the loose ends and Thumps DreadfulWater seems to be left in a pretty comfortable place. I'd be lying if I told you that I was happy about that. This is one of the few series that I have bought brand new. No scrounging around, trying to get them secondhand. King deserves my money for this excellent series.

In another book, Mr. King said that writing fiction is like buttering warm toast. Reading his fiction is every bit as rich and buttery. The humour, the sly commentary on our wacky society, the friendships that shape Thumps' life, even his erratic relationship with Claire, its all delightful.

If this is the end of the line (and I'm only guessing that it is), I will miss Thumps, of course, but how will we know how Sheriff Duke's cancer treatment goes? Will I ever know what happened to Freeway, the cat? Does Moses Blood continue to know everything that Thumps will do before he does it? Does Cooley Small Elk ever find a girlfriend? Does Al recover from her star-crossed love affair? I've become as fond of the townsfolk as I am of Thumps and it will be difficult not to get fresh news of what is happening in Chinook.

With any luck, I'm completely wrong and King has more mischief up his sleeve for Mr. DreadfulWater and the denizens of Chinook. Fingers crossed.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment