Monday 25 May 2020

Dragon / Steven Brust

Dragon (Vlad Taltos, #8)Dragon by Steven Brust
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.25 stars

I like Vlad Taltos and his smart talking jhereg companion, Loiosh. In this installment, Vlad ends up in the army in an attempt to prove a point. It was rather like a cross between The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted and The Black Company. Brust doesn't get quite as silly as Harrison did with Slippery Jim DiGriz, but like Harrison he uses the opportunity to make fun of all things military. However, Vlad shows enough guile and sneakiness to remind me a tiny bit of Croaker in the Black Company. No one can match Croaker for sneaky, though.

Usually, I can handle alternate points of view. This story switches back and forth in time, always from Vlad's point of view. I found myself confused on several occasions, which detracted from my enjoyment somewhat. I think I can chalk that up to quarantine confusion or spring allergies or something.

All in all, this is an enjoyable series with short bite-size books. I never mind spending time with Mr. Taltos.

Book number 369 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment