Thursday 7 May 2020

The Red Wyvern / Katharine Kerr

The Red Wyvern (The Dragon Mage, #1)The Red Wyvern by Katharine Kerr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.25 stars

These books frustrate me, because I keep feeling that I should enjoy them more than I do. This one was the best of them so far, mostly because I really appreciated Lilli. But I'm confused, because I thought Nevyn had died and left his position of dweomer master to Jill. And Jill died in one of the previous books too. Although Jill remains dead and gone, suddenly here is Nevyn again, like nothing ever happened to him! I'm guessing that this is a jump back into the past, but then Jill should still be alive too, so I'm still confused. Not that I suppose it matters.

The Prince Maryn part of the story was quite engaging and it kept me up very late the other night, reading until I couldn't keep my eyes open! It's the Evander/Alshandra/Elissario storyline that bores me. Why do we care about these inhuman creatures from another plane and their mixed feelings about being born into the human realm? They really aren't very relevant to the main plot and what small part they do play could be easily replaced with more down-to-earth characters.

And so you may ask why do I keep reading these books if I'm not wild about them. Back when I was just getting started on the series, I found a bunch of them in a used book store and grabbed them. Now I feel somewhat duty bound to read them. Foolish, perhaps, but they are decent books, if not my favourites.

Despite the cover art, the red wyvern doesn't make an appearance, except as embroidery on clan banners.

Book number 365 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment