Thursday 23 April 2020

The Reality Dysfunction / Peter F. Hamilton

The Reality Dysfunction (Night's Dawn, #1)The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F. Hamilton
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

Well, that was a lot of reading for very little joy. This is the second book by this author that I've read and both of them in my opinion were way too long and had rather ridiculous plot elements. This novel had so many characters to keep track of and so many intertwining plot lines that I couldn't set the book down for very long or I would lose the thread.

It's too bad because I thought there were tons of good ideas in the course of things. For example, the sentient habitats and spaceships, biological rather than AI. Those reminded me of Iain Banks' Culture books, the AI Minds that populate that universe. The alternation between Tranquility habitat and the rough pioneer world of Lalonde made me think of Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep.

What I have trouble with is thinking that there will still be Earth-based religions in 2520. I certainly think that Satanism will have been left far behind by then. Maybe Buddhism will survive, but surely we will have outgrown the other belief systems.

I know I've set myself a mission to read most of the books on the list that I've devised, but there are 2 more volumes in this series and they are every bit as long as this one. I just can't face them. I had difficulty finishing this one. This is it, folks, I'm not reading any further.

Book number 360 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment