Wednesday 22 April 2020

The Dark Enquiry / Deanna Raybourn

The Dark Enquiry (Lady Julia Grey, #5)The Dark Enquiry by Deanna Raybourn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

I am a big fan of Deanna Raybourn. Thankfully, I found this installment of the Lady Julia series to be better than the previous one. That one was still good, but I was glad that this adventure was set back in England. Despite an ending which suggests that the author has another book underway, there's no sign of it being published—perhaps the series has run it's course, although I think some fans might argue with that conclusion.

I think the greatest pleasures of this series are the antics of Julia's family and all of their various pets and projects. I confess to being pleased that her ultra-conservative eldest brother gets knocked down a peg or two in the course of this novel.

The spiritualism element in this book made me think of Mary Roach's non-fiction book, Spook. There was a fascinating section in that on Victorian spiritualism. I highly recommend any of Roach's works to other readers.

I would also recommend the Veronica Speedwell series, also authored by Raybourn. I am greatly anticipating the latest installment, A Murderous Relation, when the libraries reopen.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment