Friday 24 April 2020

The Moonspinners / Mary Stewart

The MoonspinnersThe Moonspinners by Mary Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

My first choice from the stacks of unread books on my shelves while the public library is closed. Actually, I think I probably read this book 30 years ago, but I didn't remember a thing about it.

Nicola is a great main character, very independent, especially for the early 1960s when this book was first published. She has an excellent example on this, as her cousin Frances (who raised Nicola) is single and highly competent. Even the Greek men that they encounter, pretty macho guys, admit that these two women are forces of nature. Or maybe mythological figures, considering the location of the novel.

As one of my friends has pointed out, Stewart doesn't state at any point that Nicola is an independent woman, she just shows us Nicola's actions and lets us come to our own conclusions. In many ways, this is a book with stereotypical plot lines, but it is well written and enjoyable. I especially appreciated Stewart's addition of accurate bird and botany details.

This novel reminded me of M.M. Kaye's Death in Cyprus. If you enjoyed this book, you will probably like her novels as well.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment