Tuesday 28 April 2020

Face Down Upon an Herbal / Kathy Lynn Emerson

Face Down Upon an Herbal (Susanna, Lady Appleton, #2)Face Down Upon an Herbal by Kathy Lynn Emerson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well, not the best nor the worst historical mystery that I've ever read. I usually like to start with book one of a series, but that was impossible with this one. Not in my library , not available via interlibrary loan, and not in my favourite used bookstore. However, I needn't have worried, this could just as well have been the first book.

Lady Appleton is not dreadfully sympathetic, seemingly eternally suspicious of those around her. I can understand that though, as she is an intelligent woman surrounded by men who can completely control her life. How difficult life must have been for women in those times. Mind you it still happens, women find that men around the conference table don't listen to them and their good ideas get appropriated by those same men later.

The other characters seemed somewhat wooden to me, especially Susanna's husband, Sir Robert. He is portrayed as a womanizing social climber. Once again, this is likely an accurate portrayal of a man in Queen Elizabeth's court, but it doesn't make me like the guy. Nor does his treatment of his sister.

For a better version of the Queen's court, try My Enemy, the Queen by Victoria Holt. For an excellently written historical mystery series, read A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters. That is the standard by which I judge all historical mysteries!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment