Sunday 26 April 2020

My Brother Michael / Mary Stewart

My Brother MichaelMy Brother Michael by Mary Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have always had a bit of a thing for Greece. I read a lot of Greek mythology as a child (the distance librarians sent me a lot of it) and then I read books like this one as a teen. Once I had determined that organic chemistry was not for me in university, I threw myself into the Classics department's offerings, even taking three half courses in Ancient Greek. I recall only the first sentence that I ever translated (the boat is in Byzantium). Some how, I've never managed to travel to that sun soaked land, and it seems unlikely that I'll be able to do so any time soon. But re-reading this charming novel has certainly reminded me of that desire.

Mary Stewart just writes devastatingly well. Her descriptions of the surroundings, while they don't take up too much page space, are gorgeous and evocative. I feel like I've been to Delphi. Her quotations at the beginning of each chapter are spot on. She maybe doesn't torment her characters quite as much as some other authors, but she certainly gave Camilla a full basket of troubles to carry.

And, praise Apollo, she knows how to work in a bit of the magic and mystery of Ancient Greece into a more modern story. Plus, there is no better way to learn all about a potential romantic partner than to see how he handles a mystery and a villain. Though romance is undoubtedly present, it takes a distinct back seat to the situation at hand. I think it is romantic suspense like this that shaped my reading taste for the romance genre, making me impatient with authors who zero in on the relationship angle without providing a strong story to hang it on.

If you've never read a Mary Stewart book, you could do much worse than to choose this one. It is delightful.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment