Sunday 26 April 2020

Mine to Possess / Nalini Singh

Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling #4)Mine to Possess by Nalini Singh
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Part of my 2020 Social Distancing Read-a-thon

I know that I deliberately searched this book out in the used book store and I'm wondering what my motivation was at the time. Because it is a typical Nalini Singh book. The plot (outside of the romance) is a mere wisp of a thing. Basically, Singh writes the same book over and over again. The characters have different names and different problems, but you know that they will work them out after a misfire or two.

I am probably expecting too much of the romance genre, but I really want more from a book than a series of sex scenes, despite the fact that this author writes those very well. I like her work well enough to finish a book once I've started it, but I'm always left thinking that they could be so much more engaging if she fleshed out the mystery portion.

Who is killing gifted children? Who could possibly benefit from that? We could also explore the dynamics between the three segments of society, humans, Changelings, and the Psy. The Psy are the heavies in this installment, seeking to impose Silence on their people, a state of complete emotionlessness. These were all interesting plot points, which got neglected while Talin & Clay debate *important* issues like how much they should lick one another. Insert eye roll here.

If you've read Singhs work before and liked it, rest assured that you will like this just as much. If you, like me, want more from a story, you will be somewhat disappointed. At least I can clear another book off my shelves and take it back to my bookstore for credit.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment