Thursday 8 July 2021

The Murder at the Vicarage / Agatha Christie

 

The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple #1)The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I first read this mystery in 2017 and I can't believe I didn't write a review! I was fairly new to Christie at that point. I am truly enjoying reading her works in publication order, one per month. I find it astounding that this is the first Miss Marple, she appears so complete and well developed already.

I am coming to the conclusion that I need to keep a closer eye on my neighbours. As the Rev. Clement states: “My dear young man, you underestimate the detective instinct of village life. In St. Mary Mead everyone knows your most intimate affairs. There is no detective in England equal to a spinster lady of uncertain age with plenty of time on her hands.” I am falling down on my duty as a spinster lady of uncertain age! We did recently receive a missive from the condo management board behoving us to be clothed when collecting mail from the communal mailboxes. Twas not me, as I am too slow moving for such shenanigans, but I have a hunch that I do know the streaker's identity. Perhaps a little more attention to such matters will make me a proper nosey old lady!

It's fun to relate certain details to Christie's own life. This book was written after her divorce and after her discovery of archaeology (and archaeologists). An archaeologist appears in this book, although it turns out that he's a fake. As revealed by Miss Marple’s nephew, also present right from the beginning. I enjoy Hercule Poirot, but I adore Jane Marple.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment