Saturday 3 July 2021

Memories of Ice / Steven Erikson

 

Memories of Ice (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #3)Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

What kind of synchronicity led me to read a nonfiction book on cannibalism concurrently with this installment of the Malazan? This allowed me a clear view of how Erikson was able to so effectively demonize the enemy facing the coalition of forces that includes the Bridgeburners. These epic fantasy novels revolve around various kinds of wars and this one gets additional oomph from the recoil from an enemy that embraces one of our strictest taboos.

I have to hand it to Erikson, he spins a convoluted tale, with so many factions that it's hard to keep them all sorted. But the more you read, the clearer it all becomes. He also succeeded in getting me to care about them, as I found my eyes leaking during the final chapters. The Bridgeburners remind me strongly of The Black Company, what with their nicknames and cunning plans. The death tolls among the prominent characters reminds me of George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire. The seeming hopelessness of the situation harks back to The Lord of the Rings, facing overwhelming odds.

I struggled with reading this during an extreme heatwave, my brain slowed by the discomfort. Although this might be a good spot to leave this saga, when the weather turns cooler I may attempt the next volume, despite its being another kitten squisher. After all, Erikson doesn't always leave his characters in their graves—they have a habit of returning in new forms and I'd like to see who comes back and what they plan to do now.

Book number 416 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment