Wednesday 21 July 2021

Madam, Will You Talk? / Mary Stewart

 

Madam, Will You Talk?Madam, Will You Talk? by Mary Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

***2021 Dog Days of Summer***

It's time for my summer theme and this year I have chosen to read books that include canine companions. I've had remarkable luck with Mary Stewart this summer, this being the second novel of hers that I have thoroughly enjoyed. This one featured Rommel, a dog acquired by an unhappy boy during a distressing interlude in France.

Stewart uses a plot device that she will repeat in Nine Coaches Waiting , the fondness of a young woman for a little boy that she senses is in trouble. In both cases, she is correct and becomes embroiled in dangerous doings. At least in this book, I found the romance elements to be far more believable. The pace of the relationship was still precipitous by my standards. Apparently I am not very trusting!

My last foreign trip before the Covid-19 lockdown was to the south of France in 2019 so it was fun to revisit that part of the world through fiction. Since it was one of my favourite trips, there were many good memories. I'm sorry that the book passed so quickly—I will have to search for my own copy of it for my permanent collection.


In the mountains in France


The roads that I pictured Charity racing along



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment