Saturday 24 July 2021

The Fire Dragon / Katharine Kerr

 

The Fire Dragon (The Dragon Mage, #3)The Fire Dragon by Katharine Kerr
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well, I am now done with this series, having finished the last volume that I purchased. I'm amazed that I have persevered through eleven volumes of a series that I like okay, but don't love. But I am grateful that I didn't find more volumes when I was buying up second hand books for my reading project.

The best part of this book was the dragon, Arzosah. Her grumbling and rumbling was very entertaining. In order to get her, I was willing to put up with Rhodry and Dallandra. I think there were only two references to pig's farts, an improvement! And there was another good feature: many fewer pages devoted to Evander and the otherworld. That whole plot line seems to have been put to bed in the last pages here (and none too soon). I never did see the sense of that aspect. Kerr also does a Shakespearean story arc with King-to-be Maryn back in Deverry. [Spoiler alert, there is a lot of dying, largely because the prince is a selfish, selfish man.]

Nevyn is still hanging in there, but he is disgusted with the king that he has helped to establish. I assume he will carry out his plans to vamoose in the next book. However, I am thrilled to say that this is none of my concern. I am free of Deverry, the Westfolk, the Guardians, Cerr Cawnen, the Horsekin, the whole lumpy lot of them!

I think there's a glass of wine in my future to celebrate!

Book number 420 of my Science Fiction & Fantasy Reading Project.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment