Thursday 22 July 2021

Network Effect / Martha Wells

 

Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)Network Effect by Martha Wells
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Oh, those F words! Feelings and friendship. Murderbot is much more comfortable with the F-bomb. I love these books, there is something worth quoting every couple of pages. Martha Wells‘ sense of humour is spot on for me.

This is the first novel-length Murderbot book and I hope there will be more. I had to be away from home yesterday (the parking lot was being patched and the lines repainted) so I was loitering at the public library. You know, reading. I first picked up a nonfiction book about crime scene techs, but found myself nodding. The only hard and fast rule at our library is no sleeping, so I switched quickly to Murderbot. Problem solved. (I'm going to enjoy the other book too, but you've got to know when to change course.)

I think so many of us love this murderous bot because we can empathize with its issues with humanity. I know I've got them. I struggle to identify emotions in real time and then figuring out what (if anything) to do about them. I need processing time, so I hear you Murderbot. Whatever our construct tells itself, “my humans" is starting to strongly resemble “my friends.“ Plus, when reunited with ART [Asshole Research Transport], MB finds that it is just as possessive of its crew. As observed by MB's humans: In a low voice, Ratthi commented to Overse, "Anyone who thinks machine intelligences don't have emotions needs to be in this very uncomfortable room right now.” When Murderbot explains its nickname for ART, the transport's crew says, “Oh, you do know Perihelion!” so there's mutual recognition.

I'm allowing myself to get up to date on this series this year and I hope I don't regret this choice. I've been borrowing them from the library, but I've begun acquiring my own copies this year. Once obtained, I hope to binge-read them just before the next new book is published. I can hardly wait!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment