Monday 26 July 2021

The Library of the Dead / T.L. Huchu

 

The Library of the Dead (Edinburgh Nights, #1)The Library of the Dead by T.L. Huchu
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Delightful! I must confess that I chose this book on the basis of one of my favourite authors (Ben Aaronovitch) recommending it. When I got my hands on my library copy, there was also a testimonial from another fav (Genevieve Cogman). And they were both right.

Ropa is a young Zimbabwean Scot living in a post-apocalyptic Edinburgh. Her grandmother and her sister live with her in a small trailer in a slummy area, where Ropa manages to pay the rent by taking messages from the dead to the living (if they will make payment). Her mbira (an instrument of the Shona in Zimbabwe) assists her stabilizing these “deaders" and helping them move on to the next plain.

Much against her better judgment, Ropa ends up helping a ghost whose folk are unable to pay, but when admonished by her grandmother Ropa gives it her all. Her friend Jomo wants to show off his new gig at The Library of the Dead, getting both of them in trouble, but inadvertently getting Ropa a library membership and new friends and magical training. Huchu keeps a lot of balls in the air, juggling madly, and keeps the plot and the action rolling along nicely.

I have to say I'm not surprised by Aaronovitch’s reccie, as Ropa reminds me of a less fortunate Peter Grant. Add to that her fox friend, River, who invites herself along on some occasions and the ability to speak with ghosts, plus raw talent for using magic, and I see so many links between the two authors. Ropa, however, has to avoid coppers like Peter, who are corrupt in this version of Edinburgh. She's much more into education than my Peter and grasps every advantage with both hands.

Needless to say, there are threads left hanging at book's end. The main problem has mostly wrapped up, but there are details still to sort and bigger things floating on the horizon. For those of us who adore urban fantasy, I think Ms. Huchu will be an author to watch. I certainly shall be.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment