Sunday 19 September 2021

Those Who Fight Monsters / edited by Justin Gustainis

 

Those Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult DetectivesThose Who Fight Monsters: Tales of Occult Detectives by Justin Gustainis
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

It's fascinating in a short fiction collection like this to see the many ways that both monsters and monster hunters can be imagined. Some of the stories are written by authors I'm familiar with, Lillith Saintcrow, Rachel Caine, T.A. Pratt, Laura Anne Gilman. One, Tanya Huff, I've had on my TBR for a while and haven't got to yet.

Rachel Caine's offering fits into her Weather Warden series, which I am unfamiliar with. Based on this story, I think I would like it. Unsurprising, really, as I like several of her other series. This was easily my favourite entry in this anthology.

I'm also pleased to read something locally published. I have met representatives of Edge Science Fiction and Fantasy publishing at the writers and readers conference held each August here in Calgary. Here I am, being a booster for my city, but I was happy to hold an attractive volume with a well designed cover and appropriate artwork. Also pleased that the local public library was willing to purchase from a local source.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment