Saturday 18 September 2021

The Code of the Woosters / P.G. Wodehouse

 

The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves #7)The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

These Jeeves & Wooster books may be a bit dated, but they are still quite entertaining. They are worth reading solely for the delight that Wodehouse exhibits in the English language. Yes, there is silliness, but the range of vocabulary and hilarious slang certainly make up for it.

This volume follows the approved pattern. Bertie finds himself rushing off to the rescue of friends even more clueless than he is and is rapidly up to the torso in complications, none of which are pleasant for Bertram. It seems to me that Mr. Wooster actually manages to do some quick thinking of his own in this bout, rather than being completely dependent on Jeeves to mastermind the whole extrication.

It does seem, however, that Jeeves will be arranging that round the world tour that he has been lobbying for. I do hope that it is as enjoyable as he anticipates.


View all my reviews

2 comments:

  1. I recently reread all the Bertie Wooster books up to Code of the Woosters. I'm not as big a fan of the books with Roderick Spode in them as his earlier stories. But we'll get back to Bertie sooner or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see why you're less fond of Spode. But Wodehouse's joy in writing carries me through.

      Delete