Saturday 4 September 2021

Strange Brew / edited by P.N. Elrod

 

 3 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

Any collection of short fiction is going to have some stories that work better for the reader than others. Your favourites may intersect with mine or we may like completely different things. C'est la vie.

For my money, the most enjoyable offering was that of Patricia Briggs. I've enjoyed all of her Mercy books and the Alpha & Omega series, which this story is an off shoot from. I guess I knew there was a story out there about Moira, the blind witch of the Seattle werewolf pack, but I hadn't actively sought it out. I'm delighted to have read it. If possible, I like Moira even more now.

I also liked the glimpse back into Faith Hunter's Jane Yellowrock series, centered on her BFF Molly and her witch family. I have two more books to read in Jane's world and this is my reminder of how much I enjoy Hunter's imaginative world.

Ditto with Pat Elrod. I like her vampire detective, Jack Fleming, although I think I prefer her novels to the short fiction. The story felt a bit rushed to me. There are some other well known authors here—Jim Butcher, Charlaine Harris, Rachel Caine. I'd read work by Karen Chance before too. Once again, as with Elrod, I find I prefer the long form stories, but this is a personal prejudice of mine. I like to inhabit their fictional worlds for a longer stay, rather than just get comfortable in time to have the story end and the carpet pulled out from under me!

Still, this was a fun sampling from a number of my favourite urban fantasy worlds and it was a good choice for Halloween Bingo.




No comments:

Post a Comment