Tuesday 7 September 2021

Murder with Peacocks / Donna Andrews

 

Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1)Murder With Peacocks by Donna Andrews
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

Delightful! I've been neglecting this series for years under the misapprehension that it was too saccharin sweet for me. Cozy mysteries didn't use to be my jam, but I've discovered that, like every other genre, it's all about the writer. Sorry, Donna Andrews, for ever doubting you. Ms. Andrews manages to take the Southern stereotypes and uses them without letting them feel stale. We have the overbearing Southern mother, the large and off-kilter family, the somewhat ineffectual sheriff (who is of course a relative), and the preoccupation with polite Southern hospitality. Preoccupations with dress, house deocration, and food are worked into the plot seamlessly without bogging down the action.

The mix includes no less than three weddings, all being planned by one woman, our main character, Meg Langslow. Her best friend, her brother, and her mother all seem to be functionally helpless and Meg is hung with planning all three events, for all of which she is also maid of honour. She is determined to make everything happen, despite all the obstacles that fate throws in her way. Corpses, poisonings, herds of peacocks, lost dogs, eight year old boys that require bribery, dogged pursuit by unlikely suitors, odd behaviour of her father, Meg makes everything bend to her will.

If you want the honest truth, I love Meg because I see a great deal of me in her. I've mellowed, but there were years when I went out and kicked butt in a much similar manner. I remember someone telling me that they always asked a busy person to do things for them because busy people get stuff done. Since I was their busy person, I did a bit of contemplation about that and let go of a lot of responsibilities. I am happy to report that no one would think to foist their tasks on me any longer. I am blissfully unreliable.

The romance element of the novel is obvious from the get go, but it plays out charmingly. Meg doesn't respond well to pursuit, so the eligible bachelor plays the role of friend, able assistant, and hand holder. Believing him to be gay and a temporary resident, Meg simply enjoys his company. Though the reader is in on it from the beginning, the reveal to Meg at the end is perfect.

I rarely truly laugh out loud when reading. This book required audible snickering on numerous occasions. The rejected suitors, the wacky family, and the bridesmaids dresses provided comic relief, as did Meg's lack of comprehension of Michael's purpose. I will anticipate the next book with pleasure.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment