Thursday 9 September 2021

Midnight Crossroad / Charlaine Harris

 

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas, #1)Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

My second time reading this novel and I enjoyed it more this time out. Proving once again that my enjoyment of a book often has more to do with my mood than the book. I still didn't love it, but I did stay up too late to finish it.

Part of my attitude change may have been due to filling in my Harris reading. Now that I've read her Lily Bard and Aurora Teagarden series, I know more about some of the characters who show up in Midnight. It's like meeting old friends.

I hadn't meant to read this for Bingo, but I requested this book from the library as insurance, to have options. (I'd read an excerpt in another Harris book a while ago and had a yen to give it another go.) Once it was sitting on my coffee table, it was irresistible. I was pulled to it almost against my will. (No, read the mad scientist book, no!)

Once again, Harris writes small town life extremely well, although Midnight, Texas, is unlike any other small town. It has an extremely small population that includes a vampire, a psychic, and a witch, among other oddities. Everyone has a secret and the unspoken agreement of the community is “no personal questions.” Well, we all do have our secrets, just maybe not as weird as those of the denizens of Midnight.

I've got other fish to fry and books to read right now, but I hope to revisit book two and read the third one for the first time before too long.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment