Friday 10 September 2021

The Case of the Curious Cook / Cathy Ace

 

The Case of the Curious Cook (WISE Enquiries Agency #3)The Case of the Curious Cook by Cathy Ace
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

One of the things that I admire about this series by Cathy Ace is that she manages to write a mystery story that doesn't revolve around a murder. This story starts with the very benign sounding problem of a bookseller who keeps finding books deposited in his store mysteriously. What could be less threatening? Some questions about an old murder turn as a result of the book investigation, but that crime doesn't dominate the plotline.

I also like the women of the WISE Enquiries Agency. They are a variety of ages and backgrounds, none of them being particularly young. I like reading about women my age doing interesting, challenging things. Talking to each other about their cases and their lives. Of course they are still interested in the men in their orbit, although Mavis is the least invested in that pursuit. I'm also happy that they are willing to drop a guy who isn't working out.

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying several cozy mystery series now. Writers like Ms. Ace are stretching my boundaries in the best ways.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment