Saturday 11 September 2021

Thornyhold / Mary Stewart

 

ThornyholdThornyhold by Mary Stewart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2021

This is one of those two-birds-with-one-stone books. It's my September birthday book, Ms. Stewart being born in this fair month, and it also fits one of my Halloween Bingo categories, as it has both Hodge, the witch's cat, and Rags, the border collie rescued from a nasty witchy fate. I love Stewart's books and I read this one several times in the 1980s. Then I had to move several times and let it go, along with a number of other titles that I wish I'd hung onto. This year I tracked down a second hand copy of Thornyhold and I’ve enjoyed it yet again. I'll be keeping it in the permanent collection now.

Love of animals and plants is something I completely understand and identify with, endearing the main character, Geillis Ramsey, to me. If one of my relatives had left me a lovely cottage with an herb garden and a cat, I would have been just as pleased as she was. I'd also be thrilled with the witchy powers, of which I am sorely lacking.

This is a short and simple romance, with only a few mysterious elements to it. I suppose people who don't believe in presentiments of any kind wouldn't care for it, but I've had just enough freaky dreams (talking to dead relatives or seeing someone that I met later) that I was perfectly suited to the subject matter.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment