Monday 5 August 2024

Rumors of Existence / Matthew A. Bille

 

3 out of 5 stars 

Book 15 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

I have utterly forgotten where I bought this slim volume of cautious cryptozoology. It is nearly 30 years old at this point (1995) so some of the mysterious creatures referenced have been figured out (the Giant and Colossal Squids, for example).

The author takes pains to remind us how little is known about life in the ocean, especially the deep abyss. It is difficult and dangerous to access, so little time gets spent there. Additionally, the vast volume means that animals can be spread out widely. Scientists definitely have new discoveries awaiting them in the deep. Both the coelocanth and crinoids (sea lilies) were presumed extinct until living specimens were dredged up.

The large mammals that are discovered certainly dominate press coverage of such matters. Fewer people care about new species of bats, shrews, mice, or invertebrates. Birds get more attention because of enthusiastic birders who truly want to see each new one.

Bille tries very hard not to get into the weeds of lake monsters or giant apes. It's a difficult needle to thread, as that's what the general public thinks of when cryptozoology is broached. I know I have read his second book, although I don't own it. If I remember correctly, it addresses some of the more questionable critters. I would be very interested in an updated version, but I shan't hold my breath waiting for one.




No comments:

Post a Comment