Thursday 8 August 2024

Love Bites / Cynthia St Aubin

 

4 out of 5 stars 

Book 17 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

When one of your favourite authors expresses a favourable opinion of another writer's book, you take notice. When my library didn't have this one and it wasn't available via interlibrary loan, I realized I was going to have to part with some cash. I now declare that it was worth every cent. Next, I must turn my attention to ordering volume two.

So, what was it that I liked? To begin with, it's my preferred genre, urban fantasy. We get to watch our main character Hanna, who is navigating a bitter divorce, get a job to support herself and her three felines. But she soon starts having doubts about her boss, Abernathy—what the heck is wrong with him? Why won't he answer simple questions? How does he run a business without a computer or a cell phone? Why is his office such a tip? What's with all the torn, muddy, ruined clothing? Something's up, but she's still looking for mundane solutions.

My second reason for enjoying this novel was the mystery aspect. It seems that any woman who interacts with Abernathy soon turns up dead. Does Hanna work for a serial killer? How can she suspect this and still desperately want to see him naked? Is it just because it's been just her and the cats for months?

Third, there's a sexy detective, Morrison, who has definite opinions about Abernathy and they're not positive. But his jeans reveal a very nice ass, which she spends entirely too much time thinking about. Apparently he has been thinking about her too.

Fourth, there's the art gallery that Abernathy owns and that she, as his assistant, is trying to organize. Plus the collection of cantankerous artists who have studios there. They are a puzzling crew, but they do seem to produce desirable art.

It's a great opening salvo for the series. I got just enough information to hook me and enough of a cliffhanger to make volume 2 a necessity. I'll be heading to my local bookstore to order Love Sucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment