Tuesday 18 July 2023

Saltation / Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer 2023***

Reading prompt: Book by an author who shares your birth month
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 4

I'm very invested in the story of Theo Waitley, pilot and daughter of a pilot. Unintentional centre of danger and violence. No wonder she was so unsuited to the planet of Delgado! Delgado being a Safe Planet where the nanny state that so many people these days complain about actually exists. If you are not their absolutely average citizen, they will legislate and drug you into line. Theo escapes to learn her father's profession: Pilot. The title holds more prestige than our concept, with only Scout being more respected.

Going to flight school suits Theo right down to the ground—or maybe up into space! All she wants is the designation of Pilot and to spend as little time as possible involved in dirt-side politics. Unfortunately those politics and the people involved with them resent her single minded focus, and obstacles are thrown in her way. But Theo knows how to work hard and has learned how to defend herself. Plus she is not without friends or resources.

I kept poking at the last page of the ebook, unwilling to believe that it ended where it did. I am very behind in my reading plans for 2023 and I have little leeway to add to my reading queue, but I requested the next book Ghost Ship anyway. If I can't read what I really want to, what am I reading for?

Book number 491 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment