Monday 10 July 2023

All Systems Red / Martha Wells

 

5 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer Reading 2023***

Prompt: Book that involves travel (interplanetary travel in this case)
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 1

I've lost count of how many times I've read All Systems Red, but this was my first time listening to it. As I have discovered while listening to other favourite books, it gives a different perspective on something I thought I knew well. New things seem to gain prominence in the audio version.

I enjoyed Kevin R. Free as narrator. He managed to provide a calm, soothing version of Murderbot which is rather ironic considering how much turmoil and anxiety lurks beneath our favourite bot's surface. The pronunciation of the occasional word reminded me that I'm Canadian and he's American, but that's par for the course. It's a tiny thing in an otherwise lovely performance. Note to self: check to see the other books that he has narrated and consider adding some to my TBR. My only reservation is that his smooth voice lulled me to sleep as I was attempting to stay up past bedtime to finish the book. I had to rewind and resume the story once I had the ability to pay attention to it again.

Already, I have requested the audio format of Book 2. The recordings are popular, so it will be a while. That's okay, I have more than enough library books to occupy me until it arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment