Sunday 23 July 2023

Mouse & Dragon / Sharon Lee and Steve Miller

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer 2023***

Reading prompt: Book that you checked out or borrowed
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 4

This book picks up where Scout's Progress ended, continuing the story of Aelliana Caylon and Daav yos'Phellium, delm of Clan Korval. Aelliana has narrowly escaped from her brutal brother, who was allowed to abuse her by the delm of their house. The contract marriage that she endured was also violent, as it was arranged by this same brother. She has spent time in the House of Healing, where they have done what they can for her, but some psychological wounds were too old to put right. Although there is little doubt that Daav and Aelliana are life mates, the senior healer warns him that they may never experience the fullness of that partnership.

I have been jumping around a bit in the series order with my reading. There are many story threads that run through this series, and following one may take you ahead of another book which provides more context. Lee and Miller have experienced some difficulties with publication, being told that their first three books were not successful enough and having an e-book publisher go out of business. In attempting to keep the wolf from the door, their story telling has jumped around a bit. Whatever fans were clamouring for they would write, for who turns down sure sales?

Suddenly, the final pages of Saltation now make sense to me. I knew that Theo Waitley's father was a Pilot, but I had only suspicions about which Pilot he might be. I would recommend reading this volume before Fledgling and of course after Scout's Progress. I don't know if I can get myself out of this reading tangle that I have found myself in, but I will read on and piece things together as I go. I have Ghost Ship in hand and after a couple of books with closer due dates, I am ready to drink it down too.

Book number 492 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment