Wednesday 5 July 2023

Capture the Sun / Jessie Mihalik

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer Reading***

Reading prompt: Book published in June 2023
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 8

I enjoyed the first two books of this trilogy enough that I purchased my own copies of them. Now when I need a hit of speculative fiction romance, I have these at my fingertips. So I was determined to read this third book when it was published. I recommended that my library purchase it, but they hesitated for a couple of months, prompting me to lose patience and order a personal copy.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy this excursion as much as the first two. I didn't find Lexi as engaging as a main character as Tavi and Kee were in their books. Maybe because Lexi was a con woman and a thief? I don't usually hold that against a character, so I'm not sure if that was actually my problem. Whatever my issue, I just didn't feel this one in the same way. The plot was still jam-packed with action, but the rest of Starlight's crew didn't get as much page time as before and I missed them. I would have enjoyed more of Prince Liang, getting to know this member of the Valoff imperial family. He had such potential but didn't get to strut his stuff.

Unless, of course, there are more books coming? After all, Commodore Morton's trial hasn't commenced yet and war between humans and Valoffs hasn't been decisively deterred. If the author is matching up the crew members, Eli's fate is not yet been sealed and Anja's (unrequited?) feelings for the Prince would be an excellent jumping off point for a fourth volume. Time will tell, but despite my vague disappointment with this book, I would definitely read another.

No comments:

Post a Comment