Thursday 27 July 2023

Iorich / Steven Brust

 

***100 Days of Summer 2023***

Reading prompt: Book where the main character has a pet that is important to the plot
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 12

3.5 stars

I always enjoy a little visit with Vlad Taltos, former assassin and human in a world of Dragnereans. I read this quickly, despite the fact that I really didn't understand why Vlad was so focused on getting Aliera off the hook. I mean she was innocent of the charges, but Vlad isn't responsible for justice in the Empire. Perhaps I missed something in the first chapter.

As usual, Vlad is a smart ass, both with his friends and with his lizard-like jhereg companion, Loiosh. Vlad is being pursued by the Jhereg assassins, so he depends on Loiosh's aerial surveillance to make his way safely around the capitol city. Despite this, he runs into trouble on a couple of occasions. He can't think or talk his way out of all of them. I am thankful that I understand Brust's sense of humour, but I'm aware that I should leave long spaces between books. His style entertains me for a short book, but quickly wears thin.

A quick, funny summertime read.

Book number 495 of my Science Fiction and Fantasy Reading Project

No comments:

Post a Comment