Wednesday 5 July 2023

Magic Claims / Ilona Andrews

 

4 out of 5 stars

***100 Days of Summer Reading***

Reading prompt: Book that has a character that can shift into an animal form that is not a werewolf
Virtual 12 sided dice roll: 10

I got an email from my favourite bookstore yesterday telling me that this book (and several others) were waiting for me. I headed out, trying not to speed. That's more difficult than it sounds, as there are multiple speed zones and school zones between the store and home! But I think I avoided a ticket.

As soon as I got home, I settled in with a cold drink and a snack, then cracked the book open. I barely remember my snack, I was so engrossed in the Kate Daniels world. I enjoyed it so much that when I finished, I returned to the first page and read it again. Truly, I love when Kate is wielding her sword and Curran is roaring, in prehistoric lion form. After seven years of trying to be safe and normal, what a relief it was to see them acknowledge their true natures, Curran as leader and Kate as protector.

The authors add new characters for us to care about and add dimension to some that we thought we knew. Plus I always love Ice Age animals! (I spent a lot of time thinking about Mythago Wood in the course of this novel. And Julian May's Saga of Pliocene Exile.) Things have been set up smoothly for the next installment and I couldn't be happier about that! And I do hope we see more of that wily Wizard, Assistant Director Luther Dillon. I don't think I'm alone in my admiration.

I know that this has already joined my queue of re-readable books, bringing calm and happiness when required. So far, the Andrews have always hit the mark for me and I hope they continue to do so for many years to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment