Sunday 14 January 2024

On Earth as it is on Television / Emily Jane

 

2.5 out of 5 stars

They came for the TV; they stayed for the bacon.

This book really didn't work for me, but I have a defective sense of humour when it's written, rather than heard. I wonder if I would like it better if I had listened to an audiobook? What I'm saying, I guess, is that your mileage may vary and you shouldn't give my opinion too much weight.

It's too bad, because that's a wonderful title. I really wanted to love this book, but instead I struggled with it. I didn't like any of the characters much and I couldn't see what they all had to do with each other. The cats should have been amusing, but I just didn't see how they fit into things. And where were the aliens? It's difficult to have a first contact novel when the aliens don't show up.

I think it also suffered in comparison with The Road to Roswell which I enjoyed. I got the humour of Connie Willis. I must have been expecting something more like that and that prevented me from appreciating this book. Not fair to this book at all. Perhaps if I had read it first, my experience would have been very different.

It wasn't until pretty late in the game that things finally started to come together for me. The last few chapters were definitely the best for me, but by that time I just wanted to finish the darn book so I could return it to the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment