Saturday 20 January 2024

A Murder is Announced / Agatha Christie

 

5 out of 5 stars

Book 1 of the 2024 Read Your Hoard Challenge

In the effort to read more of my own book hoard, I joyfully joined this challenge. I have read this Agatha Christie novel before, but I loved it. When I saw it scheduled for January in my AC reading group, I chose to buy a copy for my permanent collection and now I got to read my own copy for the first time. I settled in to relish this juicy mystery, set in the wonderfully named village of Chipping Cleghorn. Christie's grasp of the nature of village life, replete with feuds, resentments, eccentricities, and competitive gossip is masterful.

On my first reading, I didn't notice all the poultry in this story! Ducks and chickens everywhere and even a couple of the women are described in those terms: Dora Bunner gives a cluck like a startled hen and Amy Murgatroyd is referred to by a policeman as “flapping.” I found these references endearing.

Of course, I had my favourite Christie sleuth on the case too. I do adore Jane Marple! I love how she dissembles, hiding that sharp mind of hers behind the knitting and occasionally dithering for good measure. Her cover is well established and the murderer has no clue until it's too late.



No comments:

Post a Comment