Monday 29 January 2024

Untimely Death / Elizabeth J. Duncan

 

2.75 out of 5 stars

This was an easy read. Not exceedingly complex, just a pretty typical cozy mystery. It was my feeling that the murderer was blatantly obvious, but maybe I just made a lucky guess?

I suspect that the author uses outlines, as this mystery progressed in a very orderly fashion. First we got introduced to the main characters, including the young woman who telegraphed “I am the victim" quite clearly. Then we were provided with reasons for most of the main characters to dislike or hate her. As expected she has a close call, followed by a fatal event. This is a cozy, so our costume designer narrator is hooked up with a local policeman. But of course, one of her former lovers has arrived, making her life difficult. To me, it felt very paint-by-numbers. She started with that outline and then filled in relevant details.

Now, none of this is bad. I could wish for a little more realistic emotional content, not just being told what characters were feeling. A little less wooden. Honestly, there's more going on between Charlotte and her corgi than with the guy she's sleeping with (and he actually does stay over one night, so we can verify their relationship). But Charlotte acts out one of my least favourite cozy tropes: she's involved with a policeman but doesn't trust him to do his job. She seems to think that she must poke her nose in, or justice won't be served. This drives me nuts! Honestly, why you be dating someone so incompetent?

But those are my hang-ups and others may not share them. Despite my little disappointments, I would be willing to read the second volume of the series to see if things improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment