Saturday 2 September 2023

Track of the Cat / Nevada Barr

 

3.3 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

A pretty good little mystery to kick off my Halloween Bingo reading for this year. I've been meaning to try this series for quite a while now and I'm happy to report that I like it thus far. (It was recommended by one of my birding pals who has questionable taste, so that's a relief!)

Anna Pigeon is one of those women who I kind of wish I was like—a competent outdoorswoman. Someone capable of grueling hikes and taking care of herself. But I'm just as happy that I don't have her drinking problem or the extremely antisocial tendencies. I hate to admit how happy I am to live in a city and have regular social calendar!

I was reminded of a book that I didn't like very much, A Solitude of Wolverines. That book featured a female wildlife researcher in Montana and ended in melodramatic silliness. I am happy to report that although Anna does some brainless things and very nearly dies, she retains much more believability than Alex Carter, the wolverine researcher. I will be happy to read book two of the Anna Pigeon series at some future point.

I read this book to match The Barrens on my bingo card, as Anna spends a lot of time out in the desert of Guadalupe Mountain National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment