Wednesday 20 September 2023

The Golden Spoon / Jessa Maxwell

 

3.5 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

3.5 stars

This novel was a chance to double dip, reading the book club selection for September and having it match a Bingo square too. It was chosen for book club as an example of a first novel published by this author. I enjoyed it!

At first, I wondered if I'd be able to keep track of all the characters. There is a lot of head-hopping, with each chapter from a different person's point of view. My worries were unfounded, I quickly sorted everyone out. Maxwell managed to give each one a distinctive voice and an interesting backstory. All of these people have secret reasons to be involved in this baking competition. As we follow the contest, Maxwell doles out the information and clues.

The whole baking scenario definitely made this a cozy mystery. However, as part of a baking competition these details make complete sense and didn't rub me the wrong way, as all of the banal description in many cozies. The setting in a big, old manor house really worked for me too. I thought it was a great idea to have the show's producer confiscate all of the contestants' mobile phones, too, keeping them focused on the doings in the house and on the set.

A very good initial offering and I would certainly be willing to read this author's next novel.

I read this to match the Cozy Mystery square on my bingo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment