Friday 1 September 2023

Death Comes as the End / Agatha Christie

 

3.25 out of 5 stars

What an odd book in Agatha Christie's canon! I kind of admire how she employs the archeological knowledge that she gained during her second marriage. I wonder what inspired her to write a murder mystery set in Ancient Egypt? I suppose the glamour of that society drew her.

I like that Christie gave her Egyptian characters goals and motives that are completely recognizable to modern people. Renisenb, the dutiful daughter of the house, focuses the narrative. She is incredibly naïve, at least in the beginning. But her grandmother, Esa, is determined to keep her granddaughter alive and to teach her how to THINK. Renisenb is getting there on her own, but Esa hurries her along. Esa is an Ancient Egyptian Miss Marple, being old enough to know what people are capable of doing.

Culture may change, but human motivation stays pretty consistent. Christie recognizes this and uses it to distract the reader. Each time I fastened on a likely suspect, she killed them off! I am so easily led.

Far from my favourite Christie, but I'm glad to have read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment