Thursday 28 September 2023

Starter Villain / John Scalzi

 

4 out of 5 stars

Halloween Bingo 2023

If you like John Scalzi’s writing, you will like this latest novel. I had a juvenile book lined up as my Evil Genius book for Bingo and was absolutely thrilled when my library came through with Starter Villain so promptly. I switched faster than a speeding bullet! Scalzi has a great time taking a person who is down on their luck and plunking them into an incredible situation in which they can find some success. He did the same thing in the The Kaiju Preservation Society, which I also enjoyed inordinately.

Every possible Super Villain cliché is used with great gusto. Plus, if you have ever lived with a cat and realized that you are not the boss, you will identify with the sentient, language using, computer saavy cats. There's a reason that every villain has a cat! Charlie adjusts to the cats much more quickly than to the other aspects of the villain lifestyle.

Fun and fast, I can see myself rereading it at some future point. I like Scalzi's generally optimistic outlook, that regular people are generally kind and want to be fair with those around them. Even if they've inherited an evil empire.

I read this to match the Mad Scientists and Evil Geniuses square on my bingo card.

No comments:

Post a Comment