Friday 22 September 2023

Competence / Gail Carriger

 

Halloween Bingo 2023

3.5 stars

Gail Carriger never fails to amuse me. This third book of the Custard Protocol series was just a little less engaging for me than the previous two, possibly because it focuses on Primrose Tunstell, rather than Rue Akeldama, as the first two books did. I feel that the shift was a wise decision once Rue and Quesnel LeFoux were successfully paired off. It is Prim's turn, but she is resisting the obvious with all her might. When even her obtuse twin brother Percy can see that Primrose and the lion shifter Tasherit are meant to be together, it remains to be seen if Prim can let herself love another woman.

As usual, there are plenty of adventures to distract the reader from these relationship questions. Can Rue's Italian cousin be trusted? Can a philosophy book club help him find his way? Will Percy lose every hat that he possesses? Can the Spotted Custard dirigible successfully cross the Atlantic without detailed charts? Can Rue and her crew find and rescue the vampires of the Andes?

I have peeked ahead, to see that the final book in the series will feature Percy Tunstell, our navigator, academic, and socially awkward twin to Primrose. He could benefit from someone taking him in hand, so I can see myself reading onwards.

I read this to match the Punk'd square on my bingo card as it is very steampunk in nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment