Friday 13 November 2020

The Secret Adversary / Agatha Christie

 

The Secret Adversary (Tommy and Tuppence, #1)The Secret Adversary by Agatha Christie
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

2020 Re-read:

This was a very fun re-read. How different it is from Christie's first novel, although it was entertaining to see Inspector Japp show up very briefly during the proceedings. I became aware that Hercules Poirot and Tommy & Tuppence exist in the same environment.

You'd think that I would remember the ending since I only read it two years ago, but no dice. There were plenty of other details that stuck in my mind however. I loved the banter between the main characters and the breakneck pace of unlikely events. After all, Tommy and Tuppence are rank amateurs in the spy game, but they turn up more information while flailing around as beginners than the professional spooks have been able to come up with.

Highly entertaining. I'll look forward to more adventures of this dynamic duo. My initial rating holds up.


ORIGINAL REVIEW:

***2018 Summer of Spies***

I had great fun reading this, the second of Dame Agatha’s books to be published. It is refreshing for its lack of a plot formula, like those developed during her career and well established by books like Hallowe'en Party. It is also unusual in its featuring of a couple in the starring roles, Tommy & Tuppence. Plus it incorporates a relatively recent event, the sinking of the Luisitania (1915), The Secret Adversary being published in 1922. I was really struck, however, by the plight of the young people after WWI :

"Rot!" said Tommy hastily. "Well, that's my position. I'm just about desperate."
"So am I! I've hung out as long as I could. I've touted round. I've answered advertisements. I've tried every mortal blessed thing. I've screwed and saved and pinched! But it's no good. I shall have to go home!"


Maybe because I live in a town where the economy has been dominated by the (now slumping) petroleum trade for decades and I have also been perusing resumés for a new position in our department. It’s rather sad to see young people bravely putting their best foot forward and knowing that there are much more experienced candidates available.

Of course it’s very unrealistic for two young amateurs to fare so well against the Secret Adversary, but it’s more fun than realism would have been. Tuppence, especially, seems to embody the spirit & brains that so many of Christie’s female characters exhibit, giving a hint of what is to come. It was just what I was looking for in a summer read—a rather fluffy & fun adventure.

I also liked the author’s dedication: “To all those who lead monotonous lives in the hope that they may experience at second hand the delights and dangers of adventure.” I think she could have dedicated a great many of her books this way.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment