Tuesday 3 November 2020

Murder on Cold Street / Sherry Thomas

 Murder on Cold Street (Lady Sherlock, #5)

Murder on Cold Street by Sherry Thomas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sherry Thomas really has my number! Ever since I read A Study in Scarlet Women, I have been greedy for the next installment of the Charlotte Holmes story. She has done such a complete job of feminizing the whole Sherlock Holmes story, in such a delightful way.

Of course, if you're still reading the series at this point, you're also interested in Charlotte's relationship with Lord Ingram, which has ebbed and flowed during the course of the books. Thomas has been very skilled at bringing the two together, then drawing them apart again, maintaining the sexual tension quite nicely. Even though Ash seems to have decided where he stands on the matter, Thomas wrote this adventure as much too time consuming to allow him to do anything about it, drawing out the anticipation even further. I sometimes think that anticipation is half the fun, so I thoroughly approve of her methods.

I had been wanting to know more about the Treadles and I got my wish in spades with this book. I'm glad to see the Inspector continuing to look for ways to appreciate and support his wife. I extra glad to see how Mrs. Watson's support helped Alice to assume her rightful role as head of her company. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in future volumes, but this was their book. Now I'm hoping that Miss Longford, introduced here, will be an ongoing character.

Livia got a little neglected, perhaps, this time around, but if the epilogue is any indication, she and Charlotte may be working on her problems when next we read about them. I'm getting sentimental as I get older, I want to see all these young people settled (and yet I dread the end of the series and the possibility of no further Charlotte Holmes stories).



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment