Saturday 21 November 2020

The Undead in My Bed

 

The Undead In My Bed (Dark Ones #10.5; Half-Moon Hollow #2.5; Midnight Liaisons #1.5)The Undead In My Bed by Katie MacAlister
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

These 3 paranormal romance stories were an amusing way to spend a Friday evening.

Katie MacAlister manages to write a fun romance while seeming to make a bit of fun of the PNR tropes that often get taken just a little too seriously by authors of this sort of fiction. At least her female main character in this one is a smart, talented woman. I read her first Dark Ones novel for Halloween Bingo this year and found the two female main characters to be ditzy, and although it worked in the context of that book, it's not my preference. I like my heroines to be intelligent and competent.

Molly Harper's sense of humour always appeals to me and any story that involves her Jane Jameson character will always get a thumbs up from me. Having worked in libraries myself, I have a soft spot for this children's librarian turned vampire bookstore owner. Now that Jane is successfully paired off, Harper can use her as an accomplice to other women who are trying to sort out their romantic lives. (I also loved that Dick wanted to stick around for Tess and Sam's reunion to see if Tess would be throwing her chef's knives!)

The third author, Jessica Sims, was new to me. Strange isn't it that a story so similar to the first two didn't appeal to me quite so much? Maybe it's lack of familiarity, maybe it's a slightly different emphasis, maybe it's the whole giving the romance a second chance plot line. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet, but I think it might be the second chance angle, it's not a plot that I favour.

That was fun and fast. I stayed up too late to finish it up and may have difficulty getting up in a timely fashion tomorrow to get to the grocery store before the weekend crush. Oh well, it was worth it.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment